Friday, July 2, 2010

Is It Weird To Be Back?

Is it weird to be back?

This is the question that I think I have encountered the most since we returned from our adventure. The short answer is no. In fact, except for a few things it seems like we never left. There is that new Arby's that has appeared as if from nowhere.



Every time we drive by it the kids remind me that we have not been there yet. And they want to make sure we immediately get to Sonic, Taco Bell, Golden Corral and Dairy Queen. I remind them that we need to pace ourselves. If we do everything there is to do immediately, what will we do for the rest of our lives in Olathe? We did cave in and made a trip to Dairy Queen this evening.



But I insisted that we walk, so we earned that treat! You know you're in Kansas when you walk by a cornfield on the way to the Dairy Queen.


There are a few things that have changed. The produce section in Walmart has been rearranged, and the tortillas are in a different part of the store now. Kids we know grew taller and look so grown up. Our trees are taller. But overall, things are more or less the same.

I don't think we have changed too much, but we have a little bit. It is not likely that I will ever forget to bring my own bags to the grocery store again. Yesterday, I took my big and very sturdy grocery bags that we had in Poland to Walmart and caught a bit of guff from the cashier lady. In Poland cashiers sit, here they stand. In Poland people sack their own groceries, here the cashiers do it. People bring their own bags in Poland, and really throughout Europe. Some cashiers here roll their eyes at my noble attempt to go green, especially when I bring my bigger grocery sacks. This cashier filled one of the big ones up and told me I was never going to be able to lift it. I did not let on that while apparently I look wimpy, there were times in very recent Polish history that I hauled two of those big bags from the grocery store on foot more than half a mile.



Instead, I told her it was ok to load it on up because my minivan was just right outside in the parking lot.

I have been unpacking tubs from our attic. I have made quite a bit of headway, but there is still a lot to get to. I am specifically on a quest to find a tub that has our American flag in it. I have not found it yet and 4th of July is two short days away! So far this is the best we have come up with. I will keep looking!



So is it weird to be back? No way. It's wonderful. It is home!

2 comments:

  1. I agree about ALL that stuff (even though our stay was shorter). I found stores rearranged (out of business/newly opened), etc. And the grocery thing...and the kid thing getting bigger thing. (Really notable for the baby-3rd grade crowd we run w!) But I also agree that I LOVED being home...whops!...HOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You walked to Dairy Queen. . . that's something I want to take home with me, not driving everywhere!

    ReplyDelete