Sunday, July 4, 2010

The End of This Story


I started this blog/journal/diary in April 2009. I wanted to document this adventure for my kids. My first entry was titled "Are We Really Going?" At that point we were not entirely sure that we were even going to Poland. Back then I had never even heard of Gdansk. We thought that if we did go, we would be living in Krakow or Warsaw. Details unfolded ever so slowly. We set a move date, we packed and we flew into the unknown.

We were able to do some unusual and exciting things, to travel extensively. We have indescribable memories to last our lifetimes. Years from now I hope that my kids will look through all of these entries and say, "Oh, yeah...," "Oh, my gosh, I forgot about that...," "Wow, that was really cool..." As time goes on this adventure will become more and more a part of our past. My hope is that my kids will remember it fondly and that this unique experience will bond them forever. I hope they will someday appreciate how much they learned, and I hope they will know how much Myles and I enjoyed this journey with them. I hope they will someday share it with their children.

Today we celebrate America's 234th birthday. As we continue to transition back to our normal, I realize that we are no longer An American Household in Poland. We are simply An American Household. It's been a pleasure.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, a wonderful family experience and excellently chronicled by both you and Myles. Welcome home, Gartland Family - to the USA.

    Joe(y)

    ReplyDelete