Friday, June 25, 2010

The Best Laid Plans

This morning I took Myles' car to the shop to have it looked at again. They could not look at it right away so I walked home. It was as if I had never left Poland! Except for the blistering heat. I just checked online and the high in Gdansk was 67 today. After I had been home for about an hour I received a call from the shop. They retested the alternator and it is testing fine. They can't find any problem with it. Well, looks like I just saved $650. The alternator surely won't last forever, but I'm not getting a new one today. Abbie and I walked back up to the shop to get the car. She mentioned that maybe Olathe should consider getting some trams. That would have been helpful this morning and our Gdansk passes are paid up through July 4th!

Today I went through a huge stack of mail that had accumulated while we were gone. It was kind of fun looking at all the Christmas cards we received on this hot June day! The kids were invited to swim with some friends at their neighborhood pool.



They were happy to get away from me and hang out with their friends.




Myles was scheduled to arrive in KC at 4:40 this afternoon. Well...there's been a change. I am not sure what has happened because it was overnight here when he sent the email. I'm sure he's working up his blog right now. But I received an email from him saying that he did not make his flight in Copenhagen to Brussels. So that meant that he was scheduled to fly from Copenhagen to Newark, New Jersey, then to Chicago, then to KC. If all went according to the revised plan, he would be arriving in Kansas City at 9:34 tonight. Well, all did not go according to that plan.

I saw online that the flight from Newark to Chicago had been cancelled. When I arrived in the US last weekend, my Polish cell phone did not work. I assumed that his would not work either. I hoped he would be able to find his way to an internet connection. I emailed him and gave him all of our new phone numbers. I did not think he had them and the numbers are so new they are not even listed with directory assistance yet. Shortly later, I received a call from him while I was standing in line at Walmart. We had a terrible connection. I assume he was using the cell phone of some kind stranger because of the Washington DC area code on my caller ID. He is staying the night in Newark tonight, and will be flying into KC tomorrow afternoon. I guess I will get the full story later this evening.

I know he must be completely frustrated, but he is on the ground in the US. Most of the "process" is behind him now. I have no idea if he has a change of clothes in his carry on bag...I'm thinking not. We are anxious for him to be home. When I head to the airport tomorrow I need to remember to stop by the Embassy Suites by the airport and pick up one of our backpacks that we left there. I somehow left it when we packed up after the first night we were back in KC. It is Natalie's backpack with her books from school in it. Those first few days are pretty foggy in my head.

I am sitting by the phone waiting for Myles to call so I can get all the details.


No comments:

Post a Comment