Sunday, May 16, 2010

Rain, Rain, Rain and a little bit of Sweden

We have done more than our share of traveling over the past nine months. We've been to nine countries during every part of the year except for summer, when normal people would be traveling around Europe! But this was our opportunity, so we went when we went. We have been incredibly lucky with weather while we hauled ourselves all over Europe. So we were due for one lousy weather day...and we got it! Saturday was our last full day in Copenhagen. We had plans to rent bikes and ride all over the place like all the Danish people do, but it was not to be.

When I got up at about 7:00, it was cold (about 45) and rainy, pouring in fact. Abbie and I walked to a grocery store that is about a block away. I have learned something about myself. If I can find a great grocery store close by wherever we are, I am happy. It's that simple. The store we went to in the morning was fantastic! It had a great selection and was as nice as any Hen House in KC! Abbie and I bought breakfast items: pancakes, eggs, bacon and some kind of awesome looking hash thing to name a few. We came home and made a big cozy breakfast for everyone.

The revised plan was to enjoy our breakfast, take our time getting ready and then head out in the afternoon. We kept looking outside and it kept raining, and kept raining...harder and harder. So at about 1:30 people were getting hungry, AGAIN! So this time Ben and I braved the cold rain and hurried to the same store. While the rest of my family was at the apartment watching Everybody Loves Raymond in English, with Danish subtitles, Ben and I gathered up ingredients for homemade nachos at the wonderful grocery store. I toyed with the idea of getting groceries for dinner as well while I was there. But I decided that we should venture out for dinner no matter what the weather was like. And I vowed that I would not make three trips to the same grocery store in the same day. So we assembled our lunch and it was of course, a big hit. I can't go wrong with nachos as far as my kids are concerned.

As the afternoon progressed into evening, the rain did taper into a drizzle. It was still cold and miserable out, but we went out to find a restaurant for dinner. As we passed by the awesome grocery store, I took a picture of my two brave shopping partners with it in the background.



We found a place to eat about six blocks away and that worked out fine. It was not one of our favorite places that we have ever eaten, but the service was good, the food was good and Natalie got this cool carafe with who knows what kind of leaf in it when she ordered water with her dinner.



Today we headed to the train station to take our train over to Malmo, Sweden. It was still misty when we got to the station. Here are Natalie, Ben and Trey in front of the train station building with the bike parking lot behind them.




We arrived in Malmo around lunchtime. We locked up all of our luggage (we each have one small carry on bag--I have learned to pack light these last nine months!) in lockers at the train station. Our flight was not until 5:40 so we had some time to wander around this really cute city in Sweden.



We had no plans, no agenda, just seeing where the wind would take us.



We came across these very sweet marching band statues. Abbie and Trey got right in line and joined them.



Myles and Ben decided that they wanted to see some castle and city hall, and I'm not sure what else. The girls and I (and tagalong Trey, who wanted no part of any castles) went shopping! We all met up later at the train station, picked up our bags and went to find our bus. Then right as we were getting ready to board the bus for the airport, what did we see? Hints of blue skies!



After an uneventful 40 minute flight back to Gdansk (of course, with applause for safely landing), we waited for about 20 minutes at the Gdansk airport for our bus. It is 45 degrees and overcast and gloomy. While we were waiting, we noticed this sign for Gdansk:



It is of a man and woman lounging in their beach chairs on what appears to be a warm day, enjoying the beautiful Baltic Sea. They are not wearing hats, scarves, coats, gloves in the picture. Um, I don't know what they call it here in Poland, but in America, we call it FALSE ADVERTISING!

The kids are off to school tomorrow and I am going to start organizing our stuff to bring home next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment